Do not continue using the existing EBT terminal. This terminal is connected to the previous owner’s bank account and you will not receive any of the deposits for transactions.

  1. Contact the USDA (1.877.823.4369) to report the change of ownership and apply for your own new FNS number.
  1. Once you have a new FNS number, you can sign up to start processing EBT transactions with goEBT.
  1. We will send you a new POS device that is configured with your new FNS number, and connected to your bank account for deposits and payments.

Need more help with this?
Click to request support

Was this helpful?

Yes No
You indicated this topic was not helpful to you ...
Could you please leave a comment telling us why? Thank you!
Thanks for your feedback.